These Rosemary & Garlic Smashed Purple Potatoes are an easy but flavorful side dish perfect for any type of meals.
The posts are starting to dwindle down to once a week around here while the weather warms up and I take more and more breaks from my computer. I’ve had more evenings filled with evening hikes and less evenings spent wrapped in a blanket on Pinterest. I sometimes think I need to stay focused and spend less time wondering but I’m mostly just enjoying the much needed break from the interwebz.
Did I tell you I inherited a boat? It’s a sweeeeeeet 1961 vintage, turquoise, motor boat that fits 4-6 people on its dark wood seats. It’s old and has needed a lot of work but we spent all last weekend cleaning it out, adding new lights to the trailer, replacing the gas tank, and getting it back into a usable state. It’s in pretty darn good shape for being 50 years old since my dad has housed it in the garage for the last 30 but there are still a few minor tweaks still needed before we can hit the water. All hard work aside, it’s been a fun summer project that has helped us get our hands dirty and reminded us of the rewarding benefits that come with physically putting effort into something.
With all the adventuring and summer projects, big elaborate meals have been put on the bench for the time being. These potatoes are a perfect example of a simple dinner I made the other night and then topped them with a few soft boiled eggs for some protein. They turned out crispy, flavorful, and simply delicious. This is the type of recipe that you could swap out most any vegetable that you have laying around for the onions and peppers. You could also replace the rosemary with another herb growing in your garden or taking up room in your fridge.
Rosemary & Garlic Smashed Purple Potatoes recipe below:
- 7-10 small purple potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, stems removed and minced
- 1 onion, sliced into large chunks (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into large chunks (optional)
- Salt / Pepper
- Poke the purple potatoes all over with a fork and transfer to a large pot filled with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and let cook for 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your potatoes) or until you can pierce a fork through them.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of olive oil along the parchment paper and let warm up in the oven for 5 minutes or until hot.
- Add the potatoes, pepper (if using), and onion (if using) to the parchment paper.
- Use a large fork or back of a spoon to smash the potatoes.
- Whisk together the rest of the olive oil, butter, rosemary and garlic and then spread over the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes, flip the vegetables, and cook for another 10 or until everything is crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.